Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fêtes de Genève!

I arrived in Geneva last night about thirty hours after bidding farewell to Dominique at Bill's guesthouse in Winnipeg. En route, I had an awesome but sad layover with Jill in Toronto and a six hour excruciating battle against sleep during my layover at London Gatwick. Needless to say I was thoroughly exhausted when I arrived here. Nevertheless, I but still found the energy to have an overpriced beer and sandwich with fellow-intern Tara while enjoying the crooning of an impressive French Elvis impersonator.

It’s a nice time to arrive in the city because "Fêtes de Genève" (Geneva Festival) is underway. Ferris Wheels, street vendors, and portable rides give the Geneva waterfront quite a festive atmosphere. I've been told that this is a big contrast to what the city is like in the winter when everybody stays inside and there are no tourists. Fellow intern Damon and I are staying at the same residence called Centre St. Boniface. Today we dropped by both of our offices to have a look around. Trineesh, my supervisor, is super-friendly and the office is pretty nice. Damon is interning at the IISD office which is just downstairs so were practically living and working together.

Tonight the two of us headed out to have a beer and a bite to eat. We grabbed a few cans of beer and walked along the path that hugs the north shore of Lac Léman. We spent over an hour searching for an affordable place to eat and came up empty handed. Even when we agreed that we were hungry enough to eat at McDonalds we discovered that a burger meal would run us over 10 Francs (right now the Swiss Franc is basically the same as the Canadian dollar)! In the end we decided that the bread and cheese we had bought at a supermarket earlier in the day would be just fine for dinner. I augmented my meal with a packet of ramen noodles which cost me over 3 Francs (the same kind that are 33 cents back home). Clearly for those of us interning in Geneva our time here will be an exercise in maintaining a lean budget! Tomorrow is my first day of work!

A.

No comments: