Friday, July 18, 2003

Sick in San Jose

Greetings from California. It's now Thursday and my plans to drives south along the California coast have been foiled by a bad bug. The morning after I arrived here in San Jose (Tuesday) I had already developed a pretty bad sorethroat. Still, I forced myself to hit the very cool Tech Museum and then Stacey and I headed in to San Francisco for the afternoon. I had planned to start heading down the coast yesterday, but I wasn't feeling up to it so I drove over to Santa Cruz. Then I drove up the coast up towards SanFrancisco then over the mountains and back to San Jose. By the time I got back to Stacey's place I realized that I was totally sick. I have a full-blown cold and the most I can do is lie here in bed watching egregiously biased local news.

The only thing that motivated meto come out to the internet cafe this afternoon is that itis pushing 100 degrees Fahrenheit (I don't know how hotthat is in Celsius, but it feels stupidly hot) and Stacey'sapartment doesn't have air con. I'm going to rest all night and if I'm feeling up to it, I'll head for the Sierra Nevada mountains tomorrow.

This has really screwed up my plans, but there's nothing I can do about it! At least I've gotten a good knowledge of American TV programing. Without exaggeration, every second advertisement is for a medical service/insurance or a personal injury lawyer. It's pretty shocking. There's even a lawyer who has an ad that seems to be targeted directly to the families of people who were run down in tragic accident in a Santa Monica market yesterday...it's another world down here.
A.

No comments: