Men with size 12 feet will find shoe shopping in
unwritten rule about what one wears in a (semi)formal situation: black suit, black shoes, black tie and white shirt. This uniform is the same for women and girls except they substitute a black skirt for black pants. EVERYONE at the University dresses like this when they can find any occasion to look important – it is the symbol of the Hong Kong business community (i.e., HK culture in general). Thus, my loud blue tie, blue dress shirt, black dress pants (at least a start), white socks and New Balance runners left me the subject of poorly-hidden Cantonese ridicule among local students.
Thus, I eventually slipped out to Mong Kok, searched for just the shoes I wanted (a great selection by the way) only to find questioning looks when I asked for my size. Size 10 (US) is the largest any shops keep in stock. Occasionally, a shopkeeper would excitedly run in the back and produce a dusty box (clearly the only pair ever to arrive in that size) containing a ridiculous pair of shoes that looked nothing like the pair I wanted to try on! I told my problem to one of my Teaching Assistants who told me to try the SOGO Department store SOGO is a large Japanese department store that resembles a swanky version of The Bay and many foreigners shop there – so it seemed like a good idea to me. I went and immediately found the exact shoes I wanted in Mong Kok in my size and for a cheaper price. Those babies were the slippery Doc Martens that almost sent me tumbling to my death off the
My next need for shoes came in
sole together, but the woman’s archaic technique of hammering – literally – a piece of rubber to the sole of my shoe made for some pretty uncomfortable walking. Surprisingly, Jill and I eventually found some very slick sports stores in several Chinese cities like
Two days ago I finally made it back to the SOGO Department store knowing it to be the only place in
We got off at the Star Ferry terminal in Central so that Jill could catch the ferry back to Chungking Mansions in
t like I was forgetting something. Then, it dawned on me. I had left my new shoes on the tram. After a month of searching for shoes I had found the perfect pair only to let them roll off into a city of seven million people. I freaked out and started running after the tram which was headed towards the Western District. I quickly realized I would never catch it and started searching for a taxi – this can be difficult business at rush hour in
I explained to him that there was a package on a tram and that I needed him to chase after it. I felt like I was a cop in a movie trying to catch a trolley with a bomb on it or something. The driver thought the whole business was hilarious and he happily complied by speedin
g through the streets to intercept the tram. He really got into it. Luckily, in that area the tram line only follows one route so the place of intercept wasn't hard to find. However, one tram turns around and we didn’t know which one we were on or even what the driver looked like. Because you enter the tram from the rear and exit to the front as you drop your coins in the box, you never actually see the driver unless you make an effort to do so. The driver went so fast that we easily overshot the tram we were on. We got out at a tram stop and waited. The first tram came and Jill had to stand in front to keep the driver from driving away. Without speaking Cantonese it would have been impossible to explain that I needed him to wait while I ran up to the second floor to see if my package was there. Since you pay when you exit, he would have simply driven away when I jumped on. Tram one: no package. The same routine occurred for the second tram. No package…my spirit sank. The third tram arrived. I scrambled up the stairs and found my lonely box of shoes sitting right where I had left them. After all, given the small foot size among Chinese what would anyone be able to do with them if they wanted to take them?
I'm wearing them as I write. They're comfortable. Moral of the
story: if you have big feet, buy your shoes before coming to
A.
No comments:
Post a Comment